With tools for data capture and linking, data labeling, import/export of SHP files, polygon topology creation and analysis, and more, Carlson GIS is an awesome GIS “Swiss Army Knife” for the surveyor or engineer. See the Carlson GIS Improvement List tab below and be sure to check out our GIS Primer.
The Carlson line of software has 64-bit capabilities, is Windows 7 compatible, and works on AutoCAD® and comes with IntelliCAD built in.
Also included are hundreds of enhancements to basic AutoCAD commands. Part of the Carlson Civil Suite, Carlson GIS runs atop of regular AutoCAD, AutoCAD Map, Land Desktop or Civil 3D, as well as legacy versions, plus on IntelliCAD.
Built from the Carlson product line, first introduced in 1994, Carlson GIS delivers a new level of powerful GIS automation, including the following features:
- GIS Database Settings
- Input-Edit GIS Data
- GIS Inspector
- GIS Inspector Settings
- GIS Query/Report
- Hatch GIS Polylines
- Mark GIS Polylines
- Label GIS Polyline: Closed Polyline Image
- Label GIS Polyline: Closed Polyline Data
- Label GIS Polyline: Open Polyline Data
- Links Manager
- Create Links
- Erase Links
Built on AutoCAD
Runs in AutoCAD legacy versions as well as AutoCAD Map, Land Desktop and Civil3D and on IntelliCAD
Flexible data storage methods
Fix common drafting errors
Handy tools for working in AutoCAD such as Join Nearest, Shrinkwrap Entities, Polyline Utilities, Drawing Inspector, Layer Inspector and Twist Screen
Supports industry standard LandXML and scores of specific data conversions
Runs with AutoCAD Map 3D
All Map tools are available when running with AutoCAD Map plus additional commands to use Map data such as Label Object Data Areas
Extracts drawing text or block attributes into database
Attach GIS Data to Entities
Input, edit, label, inspect and report with simple tools, including querying for parcels or entities that meet conditions
Overlays layered polyline perimeters to create all the subareas
Conversions between Esri Shape data and coordinates and polylines
User-defined import and export of point data along with conversions with specific other formats
Draw points with settings for symbols, layers and styles
Point group manager to define sets of point by filters
Coordinate File History
Tracks all changes to points with report and undo functions
Fix Point Label Overlaps
Finds point label overlaps with rule options to fix automatically
Utilities for modify point labels such as move with leader, twist and resize
Data collection for Windows CE and Pocket PC
Take Carlson and AutoCAD to the field for data collection and stakeout with total stations and GPS
Construction Estimating for earthworks, subgrades, material quantities, strata quantities and trench networks
Carlson Point Clouds
Process laser scan data to generate models, breaklines and points
Carlson Natural Regrade
Design stable land surfaces that follow natural hydrologic and geomorphology principles
Models drillholes and strata structures and attributes
Carlson 2017 with IntelliCAD 8.2, Carlson 2016 with IntelliCAD 8.1 and later
- Compatible with 32 or 64 bit Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10
- For hardware requirements, see Carlson 2013-2015* below
Carlson 2013-2015* with IntelliCAD 7.2 and later
*Starting with 2013 build 130120
Intel® Pentium® 4 or comparable (minimum), Intel i7 or at least Intel i5 or comparable (recommended). Due to the variety of processors on the market, one can use cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php to do comparative analysis. While the overall processor score matters, the single thread performance is of the most interest.
- 32-bit Windows 7-8.1: 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM minimum for, 4 GB recommended.
- 64-bit Windows 7-8.1: 2 GB of RAM minimum for, 8+ GB recommended.
- Windows Vista: 1 GB of RAM minimum, 4 GB recommended.
- Windows XP: 512 megabytes (MB) of RAM minimum, 2 GB recommended.
Graphics card compatible with OpenGL Version 1.4 or higher:
- Recommended are desktop graphics level discrete (not integrated cards like Intel HD) graphics cards.
- Preferably Nvidia Geforce due to their more consistent driver support.
- Discrete ATI/AMD cards will be adequate, but ATI’s driver support has been spotty and user is frequently deferred to the computer manufacturer for support.
- Professional Nvidia Quadro cards are not currently recommended due to driver issues.
- Powerful gaming cards are not required and probably would not provide as much benefit as investment in more memory or better CPU
Carlson 2012 and earlier with IntelliCAD 7.1 and 6.x based products
- Windows® XP, Windows® Vista, Windows® 7
- Intel Pentium® or more powerful processor
- 64-bit machines are supported, but application itself is 32-bit
- 1 GB RAM (minimum), 4 GB recommended (for complex drawings)
- 400 MB of free hard disk space (1.2 GB Total, see Note above)